CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Phthalates in Baby Products

I don't know if you saw this in the news last month, so I thought I would pass it along. Check out this article on msnbc.com about chemicals in the lotions and baby products we're using on our precious babies (This was national news; not just on my natural health websites). I had NO IDEA! I felt horrible after reading this because I have loaded my boys up on these products since the day they were born. The information I've read says that you should be most concerned about phthalates from 0-8 months, so unfortunately, I got on the boat a little late. I am not going to just stick to 0-8 months. I am now transitioning to safer product for the boys and plan to continue to use safe products for them from now on.
I can't tell you how sad it makes me, though. I LOVE Johnson & Johnson baby lotion! :(
During my research I found this fabulous website. On it, you can do searches for all the cosmetic items you use: shampoos, conditioners, lotion, make-up, chapstick, etc. It's great and has shown me the different dangers certain products contain. Even better, it has shown me the products that are the safest. Each product is ranked from 0-10 based on safety. I am so thankful for this site! I found the most effective way to find safe products on this site is to type in the kind of product you're searching for. For instance, I was looking for baby lotion, so I did a search of baby lotions and found several safe options.
One thing I was also disappointed to learn is that Arbonne baby lotion didn't get a great score. :( That really surprised me because once I heard the news about phthalates, I switched to Arbonne Baby because I assumed it was safe. Based on Cosmetic Database, I was wrong. Who knew?
When it comes to phthalates, be careful. It's not just in the lotions and shampoos you use on your babies, it's also found in some sippy cups, plastic spoons, etc. In this day and age when Alzheimers and Cancer is growing at alarming rates, it's good to be as safe as possible. That's my opinion, anyway.

0 comments: