CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Acute Otis Media...aka...Ear Infections

Chances are, if you have kids, you have had to deal with ear infections or know someone who has. It seems like every day I hear someone talking about their child and his/her second, third, or fourth ear infection. The people I hear talk about them are usually regular visitors to their pediatricians' offices, they've usually given their sweet babies round after round of antibiotics to get rid of this pesky problem, and are fearing the tubes (well, some are. Some don't think tubes are a big deal).

Every time I hear someone say their child has another ear infection and that they are heading to the pediatrician's office, I cringe. I cringe because I know the "solution" is going to be a prescription for antibiotics. I cringe because I know that a study published in the September 13, 2006 Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) shows that "watchful waiting" is better than using antibiotics for the treatment of ear infections known as Acute Otitis Media (AOM). The study starts off by noting that AOM is the most common diagnosis for which antibiotics are prescribed to children. I cringe because, as lead researcher, David M. Spiro, MD, commented in a WebMD article, "In this country, 96% to 98% of physicians treat ear infections immediately with antibiotics, even though most cases will resolve on their own without treatment."

Most of us know or have heard about the superbugs that are being created due to our overuse and abuse of antibiotics. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Taking antibiotics when you don't need them actually can be harmful." Most people know, but don't adhere to, the fact that antibiotics are intended for bacterial infections, not viral. However, many are still prescribed antibiotics for viral infections. I got this chart off a Mayo Clinic page:

Bacterial infections cause: Viral infections cause:
  • Some ear infections
  • Severe sinus infections
  • Strep throat
  • Urinary tract infections
  • Many wound and skin infections
  • Most ear infections
  • Colds
  • Influenza (flu)
  • Most coughs
  • Most sore throats
  • Bronchitis
  • Stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis)

They go on to say, "Superbugs emerge when an antibiotic fails to kill all of the bacteria it targets, and the surviving bacteria become resistant to that particular drug and frequently other antibiotics as well. Doctors then prescribe a stronger antibiotic, but the bacteria quickly learn to withstand the more potent drug as well, perpetuating a cycle in which increasingly powerful drugs are required to treat infections."

By giving your children antibiotics every time they get an ear infection, you are helping to create superbugs. You are, essentially, ensuring more problems to come as your child grows and ages...all in the name of "helping" your child.

When I hear my friends say their child has another ear infection, I want to tell them about chiropractic and how it can help, but I'm always a little resistant. I don't want anyone to ever think I'm trying to drum up business. I'm not about that at all. I just believe every child should be under wellness care by a wellness-centered chiropractor. It definitely does not have to be our office. I am always excited to refer people to wellness chiropractors located close to where they live.
Research has shown that chiropractic can help in the correction and prevention of AOM. Check out this article I got from chiropracticresearch.org.

I can honestly say, neither of my boys have ever had an ear infection...not one. We keep their spines adjusted because we know the importance of a healthy spine and its connection to overall health. I'll share more about this later. For now, be careful with your treatment of AOM. Try a wellness chiropractor. You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

dev said...

Hey! Love the new blog!

I soooo share your concern. SK is almost four and has never had an ear infection or been on antibiotics. NB has had one, and it was a doosey. Thankfully, my doctor is extremely conservative when it comes to antibiotics, so I felt like I could trust him. We did end up with an antibiotic, and it cleared immediately, so I felt okay about that. I just hate that so many are soooo uninformed!!

We also see a wellness chiropractor. Love them! I definitely believe that that has been a huge factor in my girls' health. They've both been under chiropractic care since about 10 days old. :)

MorningSong said...

This is one that drives me crazy too! HC was on her 3rd go of antibiotics without improving when I just CRIED OUT to God! He brought someone into my life that told me about PRO-biotics and after 3 days she was well! Since then - we too have been well and continue to be well. Of course, they catch occasional colds but nothing requiring anti-biotics. Thank God for that! God's ways are ALWAYS higher than our ways! Quick fixes NEVER fix anything!

Blessings!

Donna said...

I had cronic ear infections as a child. They eventually scheduled me to have ear tubes put in on a Monday. The Friday before my worried mother took me to a chiropractor and had me adjusted. As we were walking out of the office she said I said "my ears are itching" and I never had trouble again. Obviously they were finally able to drain. I've never taken our kids to a chiropractor- but you've got me thinking.

annieck said...

That's an awesome testimony, Donna! I hear stuff like that all the time. I'm so glad you didn't have to get tubes. :)