CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

Drugs in our Drinking Water

If you've watched the news today, I'm sure you saw that an AP probe found drugs in our drinking water. They say these pharmaceuticals are affecting wildlife and "may be affecting humans". Let me just stop there. They say it is affecting wildlife and may be affecting us. Does that make a bit of sense to you? If it IS affecting wildlife, then it IS affecting us as well. I don't see what's so hard to understand. Seriously, people. Here I am trying to raise my kids medication-free, but we're still being exposed...in our water!
According to an article I got off of abcnews.com, "A vast array of pharmaceuticals-including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers sex hormones- have been found in the drinking water of at least 41 million Americans."
It goes on to say, "...the presence of so many prescription drugs-and over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen- in so much of our drinking water is heightening worries among the scientists of long-term consequences to human health."
Worries should be heightened! This is dangerous!
"Water providers rarely disclose results of pharmaceutical screenings, unless pressed (shocker, right?), the AP found." They fear that if they share these things that the public will be "unduly alarmed." Unduly alarmed?! Seriously? I think our alarm is very warranted.
Please check out the whole article via this link. You need to know what's in your water.
They say the only way to filter these chemicals is through reverse osmosis. Channing and I buy purified water that we drink, and the only kind we buy that that has been purified by reverse osmosis. However, this has "lit the fire" for me to purchase a reverse osmosis filter for our home. I've needed to do that anyway, because bottled water has its own problems. Check out this article from mercola.com.
The thing is, not only are we cooking with this water and drinking it, we are also bathing in it, brushing our teeth with it, soaking our babies in it. This is scary stuff!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK... I take some medicinces, and the fact that there is pharmaceutical drugs in tap water worries me! I don't drink much tap water because I drink bottled water, but its tap water... of course I'm going to use it!! I sure hope that the filtering companies (or whoever) can get this taken care of soon.

annieck said...

The thing is, they say it's too expensive to fix. I wouldn't count on a governmental fix anytime soon. It's up to us to buy our own filters. Nice, huh?

Rachael said...

This is crazy! Edward and I have also being doing the reverse osmosis water for a while now for drinking. We looked into the whole house system a while back but since we did not have a house, we did not do it! Maybe now's the time...thanks for the reminder!!! Where are you getting yours from?

annieck said...

I'm still researching, but I think we may check into aquasana. You can check them out at aquasana.com.
It's really affordable and has great ratings. I want to ask a few questions before I settle on it, though.
I found one last year I wanted to get but can't find it now! I forgot what it was called. :(