CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 18, 2008

The 10 Seconds of Pain, I Can Handle

Yikes! I haven't found much time for this blog over the past week. Finding the deals around town has kept me pretty busy, I guess. But now I'm back. This particular post isn't going to share any major story I've found in the news. In this post, I am just going to share my heart.

As a mom who has chosen, based on massive amounts of research, not to vaccinate her children, it bothers me to hear that some people assume that I (and other parents who make the same choice) choose not to vaccinate my children because I can't handle watching my boys in pain as the shots are administered. Do you know that people seriously believe that I would withhold something "beneficial" from my children simply because I don't have the guts to watch them in pain for a few seconds? Seriously, people believe that. You may even believe that.

When I get that comment or hear it whispered, I never know whether to laugh (I mean, seriously???), to cry, to shout, to explain my stance, to offer research supporting my decision, or to just ignore it (which is what I usually do). In my mind I think what mother would withhold something "beneficial" from her children because of a few seconds of pain? I can assure you, if those mothers are out there, and maybe they are, I am certainly not one of them. I withhold vaccinations from my boys because I, without a shadow of doubt, believe they are harming children all over our country (and world). I firmly, 100%, believe that. You see, my boys' 10 seconds of pain I could handle. It's the lifetime of consequences from potentially dangerous chemicals being injected into their bodies that I can't. I don't force anyone else to agree with me; however, I would hope that people would give me more credit than to believe I would keep anything from my children that I thought could help them (especially when you're talking "saving lives").

I don't like to watch my boys in pain. I don't. Does any parent? I don't like to discipline my children. I do it, though. I do it because it is what God has called me, as a parent, to do. I do it because I LOVE my boys more than I hate to watch them deal with moments of pain. I love them so much and want only the best for them. That is why I discipline them, and likewise, that is why Channing and I have made the very tough and personal decision not to vaccinate them. It was a decision we made for our family. We realize that each family has to make its own choice.

We don't judge those families who choose in favor of vaccination, and I just ask that our family (and other families who have made the same choice) be extended the same lack of judgment. AND as always, research everything BEFORE you take the leap!

Blessings to you and your family!!!

0 comments: