CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Opt Out of the Optional C-Section

I'll never forget the summer I worked as a nanny in Atlanta, Georgia. The family I worked for consisted of a grandmother and grandfather who adopted their grandchildren. They lived in an affluent area of the city and were members of a really exclusive country club. A friend and I both worked for the family and often took the kids to the pool at the club to swim and play. At the club, many of the kids were there with nannies like us, but some were there with their mothers. I remember being there one summer day and hearing a couple of the mothers talking about their elective c-sections. The conversation went something like this:

"I already have my c-section scheduled. It only leaves a tee tiny scar, and there's no way I'm pushing a baby out!"

"Me, too. I am definitely going to schedule one."

Since then, I've heard of countless women choosing to have a c-section rather than a vaginal delivery. Ok... when, why, and how did this become the norm? Don't get me wrong, c-sections have their place. Channing's mom delivered him breech and said it took a year to heal. No thank you! If a baby is in great distress, by all means. However, we have got to realize that elective c-sections are not safe or natural. They should be the exception and not the rule.

Check out this article on yahoonews.com:

C-Section May Complicate Next Pregnancies

1 comments:

Mallory said...

I had to have an emergency c-section with Layla after I began to run a fever from a positive group b strep test; after a 12 hour failed induction (I was induced for pre-eclampsia). The c-section was the most terrifying thing that ever happened to me. I was still able to feel everything that they did, and as soon as they pulled the baby's head out, I was put to sleep without warning. I'm going for a VBAC next time,no epidural.